Nature Recordists Code of Ethics

Subject: Nature Recordists Code of Ethics
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 09:09:30 -0700
Before the playback discussion does more harm than good to our group, let
me suggest that we create a simple, straight forward "Code of Ethics" for
Nature Recordists. The code can include s simple statement about playback,=

such as:

"Playback is a powerful and effective tool, and as such should be used in a=

way that minimizes its impact on the area's wildlife. To minimize stress on=

breeding animals playback should not be used during breeding seasons. We
recognize that persons engaged in the pursuit of legitimate scientific data=

may use playback in the same way that they might use mist netting or other=

invasive techniques, and we do not intend to limit their use of this tool.=

For other than scientific purposes, we feel that every effort should be
made to minimize the use of playback."

Other "code" sections can address:
1. Privacy
2. Copyrights
3. Habitat preservation
4. Minimizing impact on our "targets"
5 Others?

How about it? Shall we stop arguing and come up with something that we can=

point newcomers to when these subjects inevitably arise?

Doug Von Gausig
List Owner