Re: <$500US/pair low-profile stereo mics (was preamp

Subject: Re: <$500US/pair low-profile stereo mics (was preamp
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 19:19:12 -0600
At 4:05 PM -0800 11/5/05, Dan Dugan wrote:
>Rob Danielson, you wrote,
<snip>

Dan Dugan wrote:
>In dialogue or species recording, yes, but not necessarily in ambient
>recording unless it's a matter of survival.

I'll test some files. I'm saying location recordings of distant
sources generally have very high concentration of low frequencies.

Rob D wrote:
>  >If it helps to make this a lower priority, you can use an M-S
>>processing based Stereo Image plug  like Waves S-1 in post to achieve
>  >mono compatibility when needed.

Dan Dugan wrote"
>M-S processing doesn't work on spaced mics--it's only for coincident array=
s.

These are not M-S encode or decode plugs, its they way they work that
creates the mono compatibility. I can dig up the terminology. They
use a type of signal patching/processing related to M-S that performs
phase correction and mono compatibility along with the other
function(s). I use their S-1 plug on material for broadcast when the
original was recorded with spaced omnis  and it seems to address the
most obvious problems fairly well. Rob D.