Playback - more evidence please

Subject: Playback - more evidence please
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:23:43 -0000
Regarding human overpopulation:
As a species we may well be doomed for our shortsightedness.  We are
smart, and adaptable, but (as far as my eyes can see) as a whole we
are blind.

Regarding playback:
Having read though the postings about ethical use of playback, I
understand there are strong opinions on all sides.  However, where it
comes to responsible use of playback for scientific or conservation
purposes solely to ID birds to unrecognized calls, no one has produced
much evidence either for it or against it.  I'm not much of a
scientist and I'm definitely not an ornithologist, but for the sake of
precaution I remain wary.

Those that use playback say that some important discoveries have been
made by using playback, but what they fail to show is how same
discoveries could not have been made anyway with a less intrusive
method.  So, I still have to wonder if these intrusions in the name of
science are actually necessary, or are they just for the sake of
modern convenience or for lack of patience.

Before resorting to playback, how long do you wait motionless,
silently observing, for the bird to appear naturally?

-John Hartog, Portland Oregon