Re: Playback - more evidence please

Subject: Re: Playback - more evidence please
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 05:00:11 +1000
> From: "John Hartog" <>
> Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:23:43 -0000
> Subject: [Nature Recordists] Playback - more  evidence please
>
> Before resorting to playback, how long do you wait motionless,
> silently observing, for the bird to appear naturally?

Interesting (to me) to read that, John.  Back in the 1930s, I was fortunate
to have a primary school Head Teacher who was an above average competent
naturalist.  He taught us children to do just that.  (This referred mainly
to the local sub-tropical rainforest.)

He said you can walk through the bush and see few living creatures.  Your
approach has been noted and they are all waiting and watching.  But find a
comfortable seat, sit down and remain absolutely motionless, and after a fe=
minutes the bush starts to come alive.  And he emphasised the need to avoid
movement, that if you must turn your head to look at something, don't make
any sudden movement, turn your head slowly so the movement is not apparent.

Sound advice.

Syd Curtis (Australia)