Re: power and adapter cables

Subject: Re: power and adapter cables
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 23:25:29 -0800
Robert Heckendorn wrote:

>I am looking at buying a Sony MZ-RH10, thanks to advice from this
>group.  I am also looking at getting the popular WL183 mics.  While
>the specs on the 183 look great getting it to work with the RH10 seems
>to be tricky.  The RH10 has 1/8" mini connector and the 183 has a TA4F
>Mini 4-Pin Connector (which I have no idea what that is).  Also as
>discussed in this  group there is a need for power and ground to the
>two mics.  Someone suggested a Rolls PB224 phantom powersupply but I
>am unclear if I need
>to solder up some funky connector thing.  If so won't that be a point
>of failure and introduce noise?

The 183s run on "plug-in-power" that the MiniDisc recorder supplies;
you don't need a phantom power supply.

>Also what kind of cables are people
>using?  Is there somekind of converter cable for TA4F to 1/8" mini and
>then
>how does the power work into all this.

That's exactly what you need, a Y-adaptor from two female TA4s to a
stereo mini.

>Are the cables that come with
>the mics long enough for most ambient recording?  I was hoping this
>wasn't going to turn into a major wiring project.

The cable length you need depends on what stereo mic array you
choose, and how far you want the recorder from the mics.

The provided cables are the right length for hand-held or body-worn
stereo mic arrays. I wear mine on my shoulders, technically a "spaced
omnis with barrier" stereo mic array. The barrier is my neck. Sounds
great but I have to stay absolutely still.

-Dan Dugan