Re: power and adapter cables

Subject: Re: power and adapter cables
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 01:43:17 -0600
At 6:35 AM +0000 11/3/05, Robert Heckendorn wrote:
>I am looking at buying a Sony MZ-RH10, thanks to advice from this
>group.  I am also looking at getting the popular WL183 mics.  While
>the specs on the 183 look great getting it to work with the RH10 seems
>to be tricky.  The RH10 has 1/8" mini connector and the 183 has a TA4F
>Mini 4-Pin Connector (which I have no idea what that is).  Also as
>discussed in this  group there is a need for power and ground to the
>two mics.  Someone suggested a Rolls PB224 phantom powersupply but I
>am unclear if I need
>to solder up some funky connector thing.  If so won't that be a point
>of failure and introduce noise?  Also what kind of cables are people
>using?  Is there somekind of converter cable for TA4F to 1/8" mini and
>then
>how does the power work into all this.   Are the cables that come with
>the mics long enough for most ambient recording?  I was hoping this
>wasn't going to turn into a major wiring project.
>
>thanks for any advice,

The Shure 183 mics will run from the power provided through the
HiMD's 1/8" stereo mini mic jack (called Power In Plug or "PIP"). No
Rolls PB244 is needed for these mics (although Curt Olson might have
some thoughts to add).

As long as you intend to use the 183's on a recorder providing PIP,
you can clip off the TA4's  from the C122 cables and the wiring is
quite straight forward:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/ShureWR-183WiringNoTA4M's.jpg

If you want to preserve the TA4 connectors, the wiring looks like this:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/shure183p-i-pAdaptercable.jpg Rob D.