Re: Ecuador

Subject: Re: Ecuador
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:08:31 -0800
I concur. However, the problem we've seen/heard/recorded/studied,
Paul, is that the biophonic component of the soundscape is made up of
a delicate balance (referred to as dynamic equilibrium) of critter
voices (mammal, bird, insect, amphibian, reptilian, etc) that occur
at given times of day and night and under a range of climactic
conditions. When any of these elements goes missing, the bioacoustic
balance is offset and, it is thought, that this change is reflected
in the collective vocal behavior and expression of the critters that
remain. It's really very complex and subtle, but the information
contained is absolutely gemane to an understanding of the health of
biomes equitorial or temperate.

Take a camera (video or still) and one can frame a shot on the Rio
Napo that "looks" absolutely pristine and untouched. But the eye
deceives even with critter counting. Stick a mic out there and the
story is profoundly different. We've experienced this time and time
again. That's why this kind of bioacoustic approach is seminal to the
effort...assuming that there's anything left in terms of good
base-line data to record in the first place.

BK

--
Wild Sanctuary
P. O. Box 536