RE: Ethics of Using Recordings on Wildlife

Subject: RE: Ethics of Using Recordings on Wildlife
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:19:32 -0700
Another note, how many people here are actually NATURE RECORDISTS?
I see many posts of "what the latest recorder, microphone is" but how many
actually tell of their experiences in the field?
Very Very little. The original listers here no longer post because it has
become irrelevant to many of the recent topics.
It was great in the days of actual methods of recordings and samples of
their work. I see many of the same people posting on a daily basis (which i=
fine by me) but never see any examples of actual NATURE RECORDINGS.
Most of the recent subscriptions are those who want to get sounds for
playback, most of those subscribers have been birders.
If you multiply these by those who will use playback in the field, is there
not going to be a problem with conservation as we know it or knew it?

I see you are part of Audubon, I am acting chair for the east-lake Audubon
society, out of 1000 members, 2 turn up for conservation meetings yet they
all go out on birding trips armed with iPods etc.
Audubon as a society do a lot for conservation and it only can do because o=
the membership subscriptions, the majority of its members (and I did polls)
think that the environment is doing ok.....

In the next 7 days, look at the decision of the house as to allow drilling
in the arctic refuge, if it is allowed, millions of birds WILL loose their
breading grounds, Audubon's members will wonder why there are so few birds
around in the years to come. Will they put two and two together?
Maybe when it is too late....
Here is a link to how the birds sound on the refuge now, is it not worth
saving?
http://www.naturesound.org/arctic_national_wildlife_refuge.htm

I believe we should sit back and take stock of what we are doing before it
is too late.
I concur with everything Bernie Kraus is doing and has done for this planet=
.
He has hours of recordings of biomes that no longer exist.

Rant off..... I have to go out and record......

Martyn

Martyn Stewart
Bird and Animal Sounds Digitally Recorded at:
http://www.naturesound.org
Redmond. Washington. USA
N47.65543   W121.98428

e-mail: