Re: some informations about recorders

Subject: Re: some informations about recorders
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:54:16 -0000
"fabrschmitt"  wrote:
> I'm looking for a recorder who can directly upload
> the recording on the hard drive via USB
> (without record a second time with loss of quality...)

The new Sony Hi-MD machines record in WAV or ATRAC form, and then
upload the file to a PC via USB.  The process is controlled by Sony's
Sonic Stage software.=20

>if possible, directly in mp3.

Sonic Stage saves files on the PC in Sony's proprietary OMG format.
You can tell Sonic Stage to create a new file in MP3, ATRAC or WAV
formats as needed.

> I record in tropical forest, and often in humid conditions

Minidisc is proven to work in tropical field conditions.=20

The Hi-MD recorders use more power than the original Sharp and Sony
minidisc machines do, but still record for 5 hours or so on using the
internal battery.

A couple of things to consider:  First, I have read that the Hi-MD
will play discs originally recorded on a standard minidisc machine,
but not upload them via USB.  Second, the upload speed via USB is
pretty slow, maybe two to three times faster than playing the file in
real time.

If you decide against Hi-MD, and prefer a recorder that uses
Compactflash, be prepared to spend a lot more money.  The cheapest
Compactflash recorder is the M-Audio MicroTrack 2496, which costs $350
plus the cost of the Compactflash.  A 1GB Compactflash costs an extra
$60 or so (USA prices).

In contrast, the Sony MZ-RH910 costs about $170 from many online
retailers in USA.  A 1GB Hi-MD disc costs about $7 each.  Use the
money you save to buy better microphones!

--oryoki