Re: playback

Subject: Re: playback
From: "Mark R." <>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:13:29 +0900
Hi Marty,
 Enlightening insights and reflections on the scientific methodology of
those times. I can hardly remember 10 years ago with that much detail ;^) I=
seems that in the name of science we have and do many things that seem
counter intuitive to all commonsense. God help us to trust in the mystery o=
nature. My thoughts on this can be summed up best with the last verse of Bo=
Dylan's
 Every Grain of Sand
 "I hear the ancient footsteps like
the motion of the sea
Sometimes I turn, there's someone there,
other times it's only me.
I am hanging in the balance
of a perfect finished plan
Like every sparrow falling,
like every grain of sand. "

 Best Wishes,
 Mark R.
   Marty Wrote-
 >Paul is exactly right. I spent the summer of 1958 in British Columbia >on
Cornell-funded research, playing songs of eastern Empidonax to >avian
suspects in varying habitats -- an extension of the PhD thesis >work on
Alder flycatchers of my colleague Robert Carrington Stein. >Speaking of old
equipment - it was a Magnemite wind-up 78 RPM >"recorder" (with the huge
wheel capstan??) and a TUBE battery >amplifier - we were lucky to get 1 wat=

>of output to the speaker! I guess these days one would say: Typical of >yo=
Yanks! Imposing your "American" sounds on our poor Canadian birds! >Shame."
and wouldn't be far wrong . . .;^)