Re: back to speakers for iPod (was calling birds)

Subject: Re: back to speakers for iPod (was calling birds)
From: Ariadne Angulo <>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:25:43 -0700 (PDT)
Wow, didn't that spark a flurry!

I would like, if possible, to get back to Vitor's
question. Vitor, there is usually a reason why there
is a very ample price range in speakers (or anything
else, for that matter).  Frequency range, frequency
response curve, intensity, distortion levels, internal
noise levels, to mention a few, are all factors that
influence the quality of sound output (and price).

Depending on what you need to do, a cheap speaker may
be all you need. However, for scientific analysis, and
in order to make results reliable, ideally we would
like to know that what we are recording is as close a
fit to what is being emitted. Likewise, we would like
to know that the response that is being generated when
the subject is exposed to a specific stimulus (i.e
playbacks), is because the stimulus is what we think
it is, i.e. with all its spectral and amplitude
components as we observed them before outputting the
signal through the speaker.

If the signal is altered in any significant way when
it goes through the speaker (e.g. artificially
enhancing some frequencies and attenuation of others),
how do you know that the animal is responding in a
characteristic way? It is also possible that an animal
may respond to what it perceives to be a "supersignal"
(depending on how much change the signal undergoes),
and not a normal signal.

In any case- unintentionally altered signals are
distorted signals, and your subject may be responding
to an unnatural signal to begin with.

You can calibrate your equipment via a few tests to
assess whether what you are getting is what you expect
to get. If you like, when you get back from your field
trip drop me a line and we can chat some more about
this.

Bom trabalho de campo,

Ariadne.