playback

Subject: playback
From: Paul Coopmans <>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:15:28
At 21:10 25-10-05 -0000, you wrote:

>>--- In  Lou Judson
><> wrote:
>>
>> One could record the speaker's output and analize it with
>spetragraphs
>> to see how similar or different it is...
>>
>> <L>
>>
>> Lou Judson =95 Intuitive Audio
>> 415-883-2689
>
>I recently had an opportunity to speak with Donald Kroodsma about
>the subject of playback, he has done extensive work trying to
>understand bird song.  His observations were that playback caused
>some birds to behave differently for as long a two days, and in
>extreme cases they would give up their territory.  So in summery I
>would say that playback is a heavy hand to play when surveying
>birds.  Perhaps a speaker that would not challenge the bird with a
>superior song would be a better choice.

Hi Gerald,

Here in the Neotropics bird surveys are usually not regular events that are
repeated in the same areas, but often quick visits to areas that have never
even been visited before.

Most resident territorial are year-round territorial, and from repeated -
though always judicious - playback in areas that are not heavily visited
(which would be a different story) I have the impression I have never
chased a bird of its territory.

I think that other than the quality of the playback also the volume plays a
role. If the playback volume is low the territory owner will often respond
better, perhaps having the impression he's dealing with just a weak
intruder. I can see how birds get driven off their territory through
unjudicious, loud and too-often repeated playback.

Best regards, Paul