The Primo EM 158

Subject: The Primo EM 158
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:56:56 +0200

I have now tested the previously announced small size omni from Primo. Data=

indicated that it would be - as I said  it - "a sensation".

It's output is fantastic for being a 5 mm electret, also it's general sound=

character. Really: It's general character is as good (or better!) as some
much more expensive studio mic's! It's soft and neutral, with a
surprisingly good base. None of this so common "sharpness" around 10
kHz.  But still too noisy for nature sound recording. Roughly, I could
measure some 20 db(A) self noise.

I would say it is the best low cost mic so far for the ones who want to
record high frequency insects, bats and similar. You can probably squeeze
out some 100 kHz from this capsule, still enough signal to get above self
noise level.

If you try: One cannot solder safely on the small gold plated areas! The
internal fet-IC burns out too easily!

Klas.