RE: The Primo EM 158

Subject: RE: The Primo EM 158
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:19:42 +0200
Hi!

I will certainly continue to try the EM 188 capsule.
There are two important uses of it:

1/ When you want superb sound quality (I mean it!) and can ignore the
self-noise, or (perhaps) connect 4 of them in parallel to get the self
noise down.

2/ When you want lowest self noise + options to record high frequencies.

There are other capsules (10 mm) with a lower self noise, but not at all
with the same superb sound quality and options for high-frequencies.
Knowles have some good HF capsules, but they are much noisier.

The EM158 cannot work alone, though, which would be the case if you could
solder directly at the PC board of it. Then it could just hung in the cable=
.
Now, as it is, you must have a special arrangement holding the capsule and=

a gold-plated connector of some kind. It will take some careful designing
work to make such a design reliable.
Or, best case, - Primo will start delivering a version with legs, where you=

could solder thin cables.

I will post every development on this list.

Klas.

(At 16:55 2005-10-19, you wrote:
>Hi Klas,
>
> > I would say it is the best low cost mic so far for the ones
> > who want to record high frequency insects, bats and similar.
> > You can probably squeeze out some 100 kHz from this capsule,
> > still enough signal to get above self noise level.
>That sounds excellent, and exactly what im currently in need of.
>
> > If you try: One cannot solder safely on the small gold plated
> > areas! The internal fet-IC burns out too easily!
>So, how do I solder it without damaging? Im a total n00b to microphone DIY=
,
>would I need to have some circuit added to this capsule (esp for high freq
>recording?) or could I connect it directly to an xlr connector?
>
>I would be recording with a Sound Devices 722.
>
>Cheers
>Anton
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,