Re: recording in Hawaii (was: Need help with Sound Devices 722!)

Subject: Re: recording in Hawaii (was: Need help with Sound Devices 722!)
From: "nbioacoustics" <>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 03:04:14 -0000
Hi David,
Wow, I wish I could download all the relevant information in your
brain then! What groups are you working with? Are you a researcher
yourself?

We're working on the NE side of Hawaii, in wet rainforest sites. I was
planning on recording for 1 hour, 4 times a day (dawn, noon, dusk,
10pm) in order to get 'everyone's' (birds, insects, frogs etc.) signals.

I tested out the recorder and mics last night near Stanford, but there
is SO much noise from jets and cars and buses etc. that I couldnever
'hear' the insects here I don't think. I'm hoping that at our field
sites, this won't be the case, since there are no jet overflights
allowed in the area.

Any idea how to get a spectogram out of a WAV file without too much
difficulty (using free software)? I've been fiddling with Audacity,
which is great for viewing a spectogram, but won't let me save the
data. I've also been trying to make a spectrogram in Matlab, but
haven't quite figured it out yet.

Natalie :)