Re: Re: What's wrong with this (sound) picture?

Subject: Re: Re: What's wrong with this (sound) picture?
From: Dana Blackmer <>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 18:07:57 -0400
John,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner.

Thanks for your comments.  I love your recording.  It has some nice close
up sounds of both higher and lower frequency "babbles" that give it a lot
of interest.  I also like the separation.  Next time I record a stream I
might try to do it from the side rather than from straight on to get more
of a stereo spread.  I don't know if that makes sense, but I'm sure I'll
learn something in the process.

Dana

At 03:11 AM 9/29/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>Nice recording and mixing, Dana: I'd say you're on the right track.
>For the sake of contrast, here is another recording of a small stream
>(file size 940k).
>
><http://www.rockscallop.org/JH-050219-creek.mp3>http://www.rockscallop.org=
/JH-050219-creek.mp3

>My objective was to capture the gurgle speaking in the middle - with
>its own story to tell. Recorded in stereo with NT1-A's, separated by a
>barrier, on a tripod up about four feet away from the gurgle.
>
>John Hartog
>

>--- In  "Dana Blackmer"
><> wrote:
> > I've been having fun doing some nature recording for the past couple
> > of months.  I'm anxious to get better at it.  Toward this end, I am
> > attaching a link to a 30-second .wav file of a mountain stream that
> > I recorded last week-end, and I would like some feedback on it.
> >
> > www.danablackmer.com/AudioFiles/HogcampBranch.wav
> >
> > I recorded this in four parts - three of the tracks were recordings
> > of small cascades done about six to twelve inches away The forth
> > track was of the stream as a whole, recorded with the mics facing
> > upstream from a height of about 12 feet.  I mixed them in Audition.
> >
> > Many of the recordings that I hear of streams on the web sound
> > either like single cascades or white noise.  I was trying to get a
> > sound picture of the ambiance, but since I'm new at this I'm sure it
> > can be done better.
> >
> > If you have any comments about how I might improve this in any way,
> > I'd love to hear your thoughts.  I am not sensitive to constructive
> > criticism and my goal is to use any feedback that I can get to
> > improve my recording skills.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > Dana Blackmer
>

>"Microphones are not ears,