Re: Telephone Recordings Advice needed

Subject: Re: Telephone Recordings Advice needed
From: Lou Judson <>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:51:29 -0700
First the simplest solutions: is the MD running in battery mode or AC?
Try removing the AC adaptor first. Then if you can, isolate the phone
feed with a transformer.

I'm doing this professionally so here are some suggestions:

I'm recording a series of teleconferences for a client, and there are
several ways to fix the hum problem, to varying degrees of cost and
clarity. Take a look at: http://www.jkaudio.com/ for a variety of
solutions.

I have great succes with this: http://www.jkaudio.com/quicktap-ifb.htm
- for $125 it has a transformer to isolate the output at mic level.
Anything less is less effective, and the more you spend the better it
gets...

The volume of the incoming caller is a problem - you need an effective
limiter with a fast recovery time. What I do is put a good vocal mic on
the local talent (she is the host, so it needs to sound as good as talk
radio or NPR) on one channel and the phoner on the other channel, and
post process it in Protools with Waves - using Renaissance Compressor
you can make the local voice duck the phone line and it comes out very
clear...

It can all be done external to the computer and in the analog domain if
you have the right gear, like a direct box of the kind used for guitar
to isolate the phone line, and a compressor with sidechain input.

Or, find a used Marantz cassette deck with the telephone input and it
will all happen inside that box - just take the line out into your
recorder. Probably $5 at a Goodwill store...

lou

Lou Judson =95 Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689