RE: Telephone Recordings Advice needed

Subject: RE: Telephone Recordings Advice needed
From: "Gene Dorcas" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:38:58 -0500
I found your email and couldn't determine if I had answered it or not.

I now think that a lot of the reason is because I had used the NH900 for a
long time and the RH10 is relatively new. Its always easier to use a
recorder you're accustomed to using.

I think the audio quality is the same.

The difference is in the front panel buttons. With the RH10 you have to
punch the RECORD button and then ENTER.  With the NH900 there's just one
RECORD button. However, I have recently developed the habit of leaving the
RH10 in RECORD and just using the PAUSE button to start and stop recording.
I put a ma meter in series with the ext. power input of the RH10 to measure
the drain on an external battery. I found that the battery current to be
approximately 100ma whether in RECORD or PAUSE (there is a slight surge in
current when the disc drive motor starts).  Since I use a large external
battery pack, the battery drain is not a significant consideration.

Now that several of the group have asked about the comparison I have really
started to think about it and have now decided that I like the RH10 as much
or better because of the highly visible display. My main focus is on
recording frog calls which means I'm in the field at night. The RH10 has an
illuminated display that is easy to see. With the NH900 I have to hold the
pinlight flashlight in my teeth.

Of course, one is no better than the other in keeping me from tripping over
fallen logs in the woods at night. (Did that recently.  (grin))

Gene