Re: Field Recorders Reviewed EM mag

Subject: Re: Field Recorders Reviewed EM mag
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:04:54 -0500
At 10:25 AM -0700 9/27/05, Tim Nielsen wrote:
>It was fun to get to play with that one. I wish things like the=A0
>Sonosax and the M-Audio were available at the time. There's lots of=A0
>neat options for portable recording, and that's good.
>
>I almost bought the R1. With all of it's short comings, it's a neat=A0
>little thing. I will probably get the M-Audio instead. Since I have a=A0
>722, I don't need micro rig to emulate all of the functions. I have a=A0
>pair of Audio Technica Omni Lavs, which run on plug-in-power, so the=A0
>M-Audio should work great with them. I figure, they worked great with=A0
>my little Sharp minidisc, they should sound even better on a 24-bit=A0
>48k recorder.

The tested ~100dBu noise bed on the MT mic pre
for both the phantom and pip inputs could place
it in same performance realm as your Sharp MD.
The MT's PIP mic input gain is really low,
somewhere around 35dB  Sony, Sharp don't publish
specs on the noise performance of their specs but
we have some clues. We ordered some MT's . I'm
curious how they'll do up against a  HiMD/Rolls.
16 bits, high gain and low noise vs. 24 bits, low
gain and more noise,...we'll see,

>I'm slightly disturbed to learn that the Microtrack=A0
>supplies 30v phantom. Who's idea was THAT! Will most 48ph mics
>actually work on 30ph?

Yes, some do, some don't, and the spec sheets
don't tell the whole story. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department