Re: NT-4 mod update

Subject: Re: NT-4 mod update
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:39:48 -0500
Nick Roast has forwarded a note from Rode regarding the role of the
12dB pad in the 1/8" miniplug cable:

>The resistors are in circuit to decrease the output level. This was done a=
>the output level was too high for some mini disc recorders. You have the
>reverse problem, therefore making a straight through cable will fix your l=
ow
>level.
>
>Kind regards
>Darren Rose
>Rode

I discovered  a very quick way to do the mod yesterday when doing 18
cables. ( Again, the cable that came with older Rode NT-4's may not
have the attenuation pcb in the XLR-5 connector).

1) Heat and lift up the #2 (red) and #4 (clear*) wires that come from
the cable connected to 1/8" stereo plug.

2) Heat and pry-up one edge of all four tiny 10K ohm resistors. Once
hot, they'll pop off.  Make sure all the resistors are cleanly
removed from the board.

3) There's enough slack in the red and clear leads from the cable to
reach to pin #2 (red) and pn #4 (clear) on the XLR-5 connector. This
eliminates the need for the jumper in the diagram I posted earlier:

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/NT-4ConnectorCircuit&ModSm.jpg

I'd suggest popping out all four resistors as it reduces chance of
shorting when the shield wires pulled up a little tighter.

*The clear lead is colored blue in this diagram.

Here's a shot of the first "jumper only mod" for reference. You can
see the rectangle resistors on the close side that need removing
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/NT4_cable_PCB_Mod_CU_07.jpg

So, it seems to be a safe mod and great for people who can use the
12dB gain. Thanks Nick!
Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D