Re: REV 10000 mAh NiMH Battery Pack (was M100..

Subject: Re: REV 10000 mAh NiMH Battery Pack (was M100..
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 00:52:59 -0500
At 10:14 PM -0700 9/5/05, Lou Judson wrote:
>All this battery info is great, against future need for me. But a=A0
>question:
>
>Why use 10 cells for 15 volts when the SD units spec 10 - 18? in the=A0
>external supply?

Good questions. The nimh cells are effectively
1.2 volts each after a few minutes of discharge.
The charger is working at about 15.6-16.2 volts
iniitally to charge this pack so anything larger
really taxes it. Also, its useful to be able to
charge packs with a car's battery (or plane's
Greg?). The 722 does shut-down just under 10
volts, so, yes, that's an argument for starting
closer to 18 volts, like maybe 14 of the smaller
"C size" which still pack a whallop. You'd need a
pretty special charger for this size of pack and
I'm cautious about "winging" the NiMH charger
side, DIY. (The RC folks may know of something
that charges at about 20-22 volts). Some
recorders can take a larger voltage drop than
this, it could be that the ECO  12 volts are made
more for recorders that don't need the sustained
higher voltage like the 722. Maybe some one has
some experience about this they can share.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like
Leonard's pack (sled+ HiRose) is made for
rechargeables or non rechargeable batteries. One
can buy the parts to solder up two of these for
~$50. Of course one can use rechargeable NiMH's
in this 12 bat sled but I can't think of a way to
re-charge them except to pull them out and put
them into 3 seprarte tray chargers. I did this
for a while and realized I really needed
"packs." Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D

--
Rob Danielson