Re: historical recordings

Subject: Re: historical recordings
From: Kevin J. Colver <>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 12:04:36 -0700
I have also noticed this phenomenon of birds singing more loudly or
vigorously during an airplane flyby.  I originally attributed it to
Murphy's law, the best stuff was always destroyed by human noise.=20
Then, one day while recording a Mountain Bluebird song I noticed he
sang louder during loud wind gusts and quieted when the wind calmed.

Certainly birds and frogs have vocalized in the presence of white noise
(wind, waves, waterfalls, rushing creeks) for millions of years and
must have some adaptations for it, depending on the species and habitat
involved.  I wonder if anyone has studied this natural adaptation to
nature's noise.  Bernie and others, what do you know about this?

Kevin Colver

On Monday, September 5, 2005, at 10:02 AM, Don Lloyd wrote:

> I recall that Don Hunter produced a couple of LPs in the 50's,
> featuring
> some very long takes of steam locomotives idling, braking, chuffing up
> steep
> grades and whistling down canyonways. Haven't come across any CD
> reissues,
> though. (I wonder if he edited out any bird calls or animal sounds as
> "noise.")
>
> I believe some critters take advantage of pink noise 'confusing the
> space',
> as you put it. Whilst recording in marshes, I've noticed frogs and
> red-wing
> blackbirds (among others) piping up when a jet plane blankets the area
> in
> pink noise, or when a diesel truck downshifts on a nearby hill. When
> the jet
> or truck fades away, the frog chorus has reached critical mass and
> continues
> on its own for a while, only to eventually die down and await the next
> protective, predator-disorienting pink blanket.
>
> Clearly, the real trick to enjoying machine sounds (and the dinosaur
> spirits
> dwelling therein) is being able to start and stop them at will. That's
> okay
> for me, but my houseguests and neighbors might disagree. ;>)
>
> -- Don

<image.tiff>

<image.tiff>