M-S Field Monitoring (was..Sennheiser MKH question

Subject: M-S Field Monitoring (was..Sennheiser MKH question
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:26:16 -0500
At 10:35 AM -0400 9/2/05, Tim Gray wrote:
>If you don't want to spend big bucks on something like a Sound Devices
>302, you can find a used Sound Devices MP-2 preamp for around $350.
>It has 2 channels of mic pres and an MS decoder for just the
>headphones or the headphones+outputs.

That cheap now?!  The M-S monitoring in the MP2 is okay,.. I find
that when I bring the side mic up for good saturation, the stereo
image in the headphone isn't much help with mic positioning. I've
resorted to monitoring the mics discretely and focusing on
positioning the Mid mic and looking forward to the stereo reward when
I get home.

But I have been looking for a more flexible, cheap M-S field monitor
for some rigs my students use.  If there's a simple way to invert the
polarity of one leg from the side mic-- like something built right
into the cable running from the recorder's headphone jack-- maybe one
could use a three channel stereo mixer like the Rolls MX28 Stereo
MINI-MIX VI http://tinyurl.com/a56lg  or similar? The idea is to be
able to make a headphone mix to your liking and still record
discretely. Or maybe its not too hard to hack/invert one channel of a
mixer?  Rob D..