Equipment advice; N. Parks

Subject: Equipment advice; N. Parks
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 05:38:24 +1000
Hello Bernie,

       Thank you for you advice on recording equipment.  I have passed it o=
to the people concerned - Drs Aila Keto and Keith Scott, respectively
President and Director of the Australian Rainforest Conservation Society.
Unfortunately, it is unlikely that they will be able to follow up on it.
The avifauna is just one aspect of the biodiversity they are seeking to
demonstrate.  The plants, and especially the trees and shrubs occupy most o=
their efforts.  And they probably can't  really justify spending $4000 plus
of the Society's funds on recording equipment just to document the birds
that are present.

But who knows?  They might get hooked on recording the sounds of nature, an=
expand their activities later.

BTW, on a somewhat related matter, pursuant to your posting to nat/recs of
Aug. 27, re preserving the natural biophony of N. Parks,  I have written to
the American Ambassador to Australia, and I append below a copy of my lette=
for your information.

All the best

Syd

> From: Wild Sanctuary <>
> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:33:27 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Equipment advice please
>
> Since viable habitat is disappearing so rapidly from all corners of
> the world, why not get recordings that are both good and informative
> at the same time? I think it is really important to collect as much
> good data of what the natural world sounds like as we can in any way
> that we can in the time we have left. And quality recordings are
> germane to that issue. If we're spending any time out there with a
> mic, let's aim for the best we can possibly do.

---------------------------------

Mr J. Thomas Schieffer,
United States Ambassador,
American Embassy.
Moonah Place,
Yarralumla, ACT 2600.

Dear Sir,

The United States has done much to make the World a better place to live in=
,
both by your own achievements and in providing a lead that other nations
have followed.   Outstanding in respect of the latter has been the concept
of national parks.

It was indeed far-sighted when Cornelius Hedges proposed to fellow-members
of the Washburn expedition, that the magnificence that is Yellowstone shoul=
not be used for private gain but be set apart by the government and forever
held for the use of all people.  That was in 1870.   Appropriate government
action followed in 1872, and the world got its first national park.

That idea of preserving in their natural state, outstanding examples of
landscape and wildlife for future generations to enjoy, has been taken up b=
many nations around the world, including Australia.  In 1870, much
undisturbed wilderness remained.  By 1970, it was vanishing fast.  By 2070
all that will be left will be that in such special reserves, and those area=
that are unusable for development.

All that you already know, but I reiterate it as background to expressing m=
deep concern at a proposed national park policy change that I have learnt
about.

May I also remind you that national parks not only serve the tourist
industry, and allow we citizens of the 21st century to see wildlife and
scenery that otherwise would have been lost forever, but they provide
important health benefits as well =AD both for the environment and for the
people.   Relaxing in the peace and tranquillity of unspoiled nature, can d=
much to alleviate the stresses of modern urban life, and restore one=B9s
mental well-being.

But the peace and serenity of many of these beautiful places is increasingl=
under threat from intrusive human noise.

The Milford Track in New Zealand is justifiably regarded as one of the
finest wilderness walks in the world.  On 12 March, 1988, I was privileged
to be on top of Mackinnon Pass for lunch.  The Pass is the high point of th=
whole walk, both physically and scenically.  It was one of the finest days
one could wish for.  The scenery was indeed superb ... but my pleasure was
spoiled by the noise of light air-craft joy-flights.

I quoted that experience in a letter (August 4, this year) to the Hon.
Warren Truss M.P., Australia=B9s Minister for Transport and Regional Servic=
es,
when expressing the hope that the Australian government would use its power=
to restrict the use of low-flying aircraft over our national parks, and I
was pleased to refer to the lead the United States had given in respect of
intrusive noise.  Here is part of what I wrote:

We Australians, and particularly the people of New South Wales can take
pride in being among the first to follow the lead of the United States in
setting aside as national parks, representative areas of our so valuable
natural landscapes and their unique wildlife, so that future generations ma=
experience a little of what this beautiful planet once was like.

And a vital part of the ambience of such places, is the natural soundscape =
=AD
free from intrusive noise of human origin.

Here is a quote from a recent posting to the internet mailing list
<naturerecordists> in the United States:

   A survey is being conducted at Muir Woods to identify representative
sounds and to recognize the characteristics of those sounds that detract
from the visitor experience.  The survey is part of the National Park
Service (NPS) efforts to understand and document the importance of natural
quiet and the effect of different sound intrusions pursuant to federal
directives that require NPS to preserve and/or restore natural quiet.

As Australia=B9s National Parks come under increasing visitor pressure, the
need to control intrusive noise will also increase. We may not yet have
reached the Muir Woods situation, but if not, we assuredly will, in at leas=
some of the Parks, and the sooner we have control mechanisms in place, the
better.

So I=B9m sure you will be able to appreciate how deeply disappointed I was =
learn of a proposal (reported in the New York Times on  August 26) to delet=
from the basic policy of your National Park Service, the phrase:
"the service will strive to preserve or restore the natural quiet and
natural sounds associated with the physical and biological resources of the
parks."

It would indeed be a most unfortunate and retrograde step were that to be
done.   Not at all the sort of fine example for the rest of the world, that
one has come to expect from your nation in matters of national park
management.  And this, at a time when never before has there been such a
pressing need to protect the natural serenity of the Parks.

I would be most grateful, sir, if you would convey to your government my
heartfelt plea, not to let this happen, but rather to continue the fine
tradition you have established of preserving the natural condition of the
National Parks to the greatest extent possible.

Yours sincerely,

H. S. Curtis (Mr)