Min mV/Pa 4 MD pres (was electret...)

Subject: Min mV/Pa 4 MD pres (was electret...)
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:41:54 -0500
Do you think we'll be able to get a sensitivity number or even an
accurate range of mV/Pa : dbB(A) combinations that will apply to
DAT/MD/HiMD mic preamp's in general?  I tested the Rode NT-1A's with
the Rolls phantom power supply with these recorders:

NH900 HiMD
Sharp MT-90
Sony D-7
Sony TRV-900 (video camcorder)

and found that the NH-900 is significantly quieter than the other
recorders with the Sharp MD  being the noisiest.

I've been thinking about the min mV/Pa question since you posed it a
while ago. I came across table #3 on=20
http://www.rane.com/note148.html. With this chart, it seems like we
might be able to take what we know about the NH900 performance to
estimate the noise floor of NH900 mic pre for starters. I'm pretty
confident that the noises I'm hearing when I hook up:
NT1A->Rolls->NH-900 are close to a 50-50 blend of mic and NH900 mic
preamps. Applying the NT1A's specs* to table #3,  I get ~-118 dBu for
the NH900 HiMD mic pre, but I'm blindly following the chart and other
aspects of the chart confuse me. Rob D.
*6dB(A); 25mV/Pa

  =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D