RE: attenuating HiMD mic input (was draft procedure..)

Subject: RE: attenuating HiMD mic input (was draft procedure..)
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:48:58 -0500
At 8:01 PM -0500 8/31/05, Gene Dorcas wrote:
>Ok.   Thanks.  I'll not spend the time trying it.
>
>Thanks,
>Gene

Hi Gene--
Are you sure you're using manual gain on your HiMD recorders? I did a
test this afternoon with Low Sens and low manual gain settings on an
NH900. Found that I could easily tame the hottest mic signal I could
produce with the 183's. You should be able to quickly adjust gain
with these mics and HiMD recorders in the field to maintain good
saturation without clipping. The only exception are very loud sounds,
like a truck passing right in front of you, that can exceed the 183's
SPL limit. You can see if this is happening because the result is
distortion even though the meter says the record  level is still
within acceptable range. Rob D.