Re: Equipment advice please

Subject: Re: Equipment advice please
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:33:27 -0700
Hi Syd,

Since viable habitat is disappearing so rapidly from all corners of
the world, why not get recordings that are both good and informative
at the same time? I think it is really important to collect as much
good data of what the natural world sounds like as we can in any way
that we can in the time we have left. And quality recordings are
germane to that issue. If we're spending any time out there with a
mic, let's aim for the best we can possibly do.

For the comprehensive study we did for the National Park Service in
2002 and that ultimately included some bird species ID, our equipment
featured 4 identical and calibrated sets of the following:  Sony M1
DAT, MS mic systems consisting of a MHK30/40 combo (shock mounted,
Rykote windscreen, and tripod), Sound Devices MicPre, Sony
headphones, and an outboard re-chargeable battery [Ecocharge]). This
system worked really well and over the period of a year we collected
over 80 hours of great data from four sites.

Although, if I did it now I would probably upgrade to the Sound
Devices 722 because it has more flexibility and will provide a bit
more data for the same amount of field effort. However, the systems
can't be compared because DATs are no longer easily available (either
recorders or tape), and the 722 costs more than 3x as much as the old
M1.

Bernie Krause

--
Wild Sanctuary