Equipment advice please

Subject: Equipment advice please
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:08:51 +1000
Naturerecordists have been wonderfully helpful with advice both for those
wishing to start nature sound recording and for those seeking to make the
highest quality recordings possible.  Can anyone help me with a somewhat
different inquiry?

This comes from a nature conservation society wishing to use sound recordin=
to assist in identifying the bird species in areas of potentially
significant habitat.  This often includes sub-tropical rainforest where it
is sometimes difficult to get a good look at a bird that is heard.  In
general, it is a matter of confirming the presence of species expected to b=
present, but not all calls of all species are going to be familiar.  It is
desired to record such calls for expert identification.

I have been sound recording birds since 1968 and for the region concerned
(south-eastern Queensland, Australia) I consider that for identification of
the species, the quality of the recording does not need to be of high
quality.  For calls that are familiar to me, a quite poor recording is in
fact usually identifiable.

But I am not competent to advise as to what currently available equipment i=
suitable and of moderate cost.  In '99, I changed from analogue to digital
recorder, and in view of my advanced age, I'm hoping my Tascam DAT recorder
will see me out.  Thus I do not have any experience of today's mini-disk an=
flash disk recorders, and the like.

I have seen, (and noted the details for future investigation which I've not
got around to doing) something called (I think) a USB Flash Disk with voice
recorder - JNC SSF-72, if I've got it right.  Small.  Rechargeable Lithium
Ion batteries.  And I gather the cost is modest.   Is it a possibility?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

TIA

Syd Curtis (Brisbane, Australia)