Re: M Audio Microtrack Specs

Subject: Re: M Audio Microtrack Specs
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:10:54 -0000
No one has used the commercial version of the Microtrack 24/96 yet.
Shipping is supposed to start sometime in September.  I think it's
best to reserve judgement until an actual unit can be evaluated.
Until then, we're just speculating. (But it's fun, isn't it?)

The specs quoted on the Core-Sound web page are lifted verbtim from a
TapersSection.com newsgroup discussion about the Microtrack. The
original message containing the specs was posted without a link to
verify the source.  So, while the specs may indeed be accurate, I'd
like to see them displayed on an M-Audio web page.

The Core-Sound digital recorder touted as superior to the Microtrack
24/96 is unusual. The recorder is assembled from six components:

-- Core-Sound Mic2496 ($550), a stereo preamp and analog/digital
converter;

-- Core-Sound PDAudio-CF ($200), a digital audio interface in
Compactflash card format ;

-- a Pocket PC-compatible PDA, such as HP iPAQ hx2415 ($400);

-- recording software to capture the digital stream ($50);

-- an SD flash memory card to hold the recordings (1GB $60); and

-- special cables ($50) to link your mics to Mic2496, and from Mic2496
to PDAudio-CF.=20

And don't forget a big rubber band to hold the pieces together!  The
ensemble is about twice the size of the PDA, still small enough to
hold in one hand.

That's a total of about $1300 for a typical Core-Sound setup.  You
could purchase three M-Audio Microtrack 24/96 recorders for that
money. Or better, buy one Sony Hi-MD recorder and have $1000 left over
for a mic!

--oryoki