Re: I have an Edirol R4 and now I'm looking for a portable p

Subject: Re: I have an Edirol R4 and now I'm looking for a portable p
From: Volker Widmann <>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:14:22 +0200
Hi Rob,

as I am also one of the owners of an R4 your hint is very valuable.
The QuadMic RME seems to be a very interesting device at a reasonable price=
.
There should be a way to figure out the powering.

Volker

Rob Danielson schrieb:

> At 6:46 PM +0000 8/18/05, robleshugodaniel wrote:
> >I agree with Rob. Not only very difficult to know what=B4s what these
> >days recorders, but with photo cameras, celular telephones,
> >computers...too.
> >
> >My question about battery powered pres is still almost without
> >answer...What do you use for nature recordings with excelent sound
> >quality ?
> >
> >Hugo
> >

> >--- In  Rob Danielson <>
> >wrote:
> >>  If mic preamp components are inexpensive like Klas says, why
> >wouldn't
> >>  a more specialized manufacturer like Edirol put in a quiet pre?
> >Such
> >>  a critical part of a recorder. The Sharp MT-90's mic pre (I just
> >>  tested it last night) is quite noticeably noisier than the newer
> >Sony
> >>  NH-900 HiMD recorder. Very difficult to know what's what these days
> >  > with recorders.  Rob D.
> >

> Hi Hugo--
> Sorry, I didn't mean to be evasive. I'd be happy
> to head out into a quiet setting with your mics
> and any of the external mic preamps you list.
> When I compared the Sound Devices MP2
> (transformered pre) with their new 722
> (un-transformered pre) in a blind test, I
> couldn't consistently distinguish between them
> using headphones.  If noise is a concern, check
> to see its above -118 EIN dBU for those mkh's.
> Most of the better ones will be.
>
> Personally, If I owned a 4 channel recorder, I'd
> consider a 4 channel pre like QuadMic by RME.
> Rich Peet worked out a little power ing issue you
> might want to ask him about, but to my ears, this
> unit is definitely on par with all of the better
> pres, its small and it cost less.  Rob D.
>

> "Microphones are not ears,
> Loudspeakers are not birds,
> A listening room is not nature."
> Klas Strandberg

> Natural sound
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DNatural+sound&w1=3DNatural+sound=
&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=3DS=
cience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DwC7FY9XfJGn6Hl50v-X4=
fw>
>       Recording technique
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DRecording+technique&w1=3DNatural=
+sound&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&=
w5=3DScience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DcF16ChvZS0ZZ5c=
uvA1UZ1A>
>       Computer science
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DComputer+science&w1=3DNatural+so=
und&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=
=3DScience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3D64wM8rCZIQIu2Usa=
R-O_9w>

> Popular science
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DPopular+science&w1=3DNatural+sou=
nd&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=
=3DScience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DPBFgubjkbh_8XFIi=
Z7GAmA>
>       Science education
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DScience+education&w1=3DNatural+s=
ound&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=
=3DScience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DtGH8iUZVW4wGFZT-=
il3vvw>
>       Science job
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DScience+job&w1=3DNatural+sound&w=
2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=3DSci=
ence+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3Dv6eAHhRAFRhaj6BDtihM2g=

>       <=3DUnsu=
bscribe>