Re: What Equipment Would You Buy with $1000?

Subject: Re: What Equipment Would You Buy with $1000?
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:08:00 -0500
At 12:35 AM +0000 8/11/05, John Hartog wrote:
>I have a couple questions about the equipment Rob referred to in this
>thread.
>
>Regarding the Rolls PB224, how long will it last (with a pair of
>NT1-As for instance) on two 9volt batteries?

I put in a fresh set of alkalines and have recorded on 5 discs
without wearing them out yet, so not bad at all.

>And the Studio Projects C-4 microphones: has anyone out there tried
>them for nature recording? If so, any opinions to share?

Experience with a C-4, 'fraid not. I agree, a report with a known
pre/recorder, under high gain is in order.

Two reviewers compared the sound of the C-4's to AKG 184's-- a pricey
mic field recordists have used with success (sans all night hot humid
gail force winds etc) . One reviewer trashed the other cheapie small
condenser cardioids saying they weren't in the same league. The C-4's
16dB(A) self noise and 12mv/pa sensitivity are respectable and it
comes with both cardioid and omni caps in matched (!?) sets. For the
binaural and dish fans out there, perhaps any lower cost omni with
less than 22dB(A) self noise is a curiosity.  Klas's EM-23's cost a
bit more for omni capsules with 14dB(A) self noise and ~10mv/PA
sensitivity, and they can be powered PIP. Both the EM-23's and the
C-4's are quite small which is a big plus for easier shock-mounting,
low profile.

I'd  like to get together a group of some "new" lower noise mics to
test all at once.  I've been flirting with the idea of asking a
dealer to participate, but I don't think they'll get too excited
about promoting their cheaper options. I'm open to suggestions anyone
has. Maybe 10% re-shelving fees could be divided between interested
folks.

Greg Weddig and I met yesterday and he brought his Schoeps mics. The
MK-8 and MK-21 caps seemed to work fine with the Rolls on the NH-900
HiMD. It was a treat for me to finally hear these mics. Quite
different form both the MHK30-40 and NT1A'/2A we lined up on the 744.
They do have a little more noise to contend with but I would not say
their transparency suffered from this in the setting we were in (a
county park about 1/2 mile from a 2 lane highway and some air
traffic. Cicadas were a plus for the top-end though). At first
analysis, I noticed much less lower midrange "grunge" than the
mkh30/40 and the high end is smoother and more open than the NT1A's.
He can quickly set-up for MS or ORTF--both in a wonderfully small
package.  I'll put together these comparison tests.

A recordist on the HiMD forum has reported that the new Sony MZ-RH10
HiMD recorder performs with low noise on the phantom units.  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department