Re: What Equipment Would You Buy with $1000?

Subject: Re: What Equipment Would You Buy with $1000?
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 18:56:51 -0500

At 7:26 PM +0000 8/4/05, oryoki2000 wrote:
>"iancozine" wrote:
>>  ...can you use 2 microphones on a NH900 without some sort
>>  of mixer or something? Doesnt it just have one mic line?
>
>The mic input has two channels.  The plug is TRS, that is, a single
>metal shaft with three conductors (the tip, the ring and the sleeve)
>separated by non-conducting material.  Take a look at the plug for any
>set of headphones and you'll see a similar TRS configuration.
>
>Cables are available that provide two jacks for connection to mono
>mics, and a single plug to output the two channels to the minidisc
>recorder.  For example, here's a cable that adapts two mono XLR mic
>cables to a single 3.5mm TRS, suitable for a minidisc machine mic input.
>
>http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/yxf-247_and_yxf-305.html
>
>--oryoki

Here's the simplest wiring for two 183's->NH900:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/ShureWR-183WiringNoTA4M's.jpg

But I'm not sure I'd go with 183's if you'd like a lower noise rig
and had $1K. We now know the Rolls PB224 or Art Phantom II phantom
supply modules can enable the use of many condenser mics previously
thought "out of bounds" for consumer MD/HiMD/DAT internal mic preamps
(like your NH-900). Might mean a slightly larger mic rig than the
183's but much less noise,.. The Studio Projects C-4  mics look
pretty interesting for example,.. Rob D.