Re: full moon, full gain

Subject: Re: full moon, full gain
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 03:09:41 -0000
Hi David,
First to make things clear: I don't consider myself in any way a
technical expert on audio recording.
That being said, I did a little test recently where I played some
white noise through a speaker and recorded it with my PMD670 set at
different levels. I then opened the resulting waveform in Audacity and
paid attention to the levels while playing it back. From what I could
tell, the gain increase is fairly linear between 1 and 8. Somewhere
between 8 and 9 it pretty much maxes out. I also notice that below 1,
one channel cuts out completely around 0.5.
For most of my recording earlier this spring, I electrical-taped the
dial at 6: it seemed a happy medium. But I'm not sure what's actually
best for sound quality.
-John Hartog

--- In  David Martin