Re: Re: mp3 in natural sound recording

Subject: Re: Re: mp3 in natural sound recording
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:48:22 +0200
"Noise??"

What I meant about "hiss" in my posting about the coyotes, was typical
electronic noise. As I heard it, I couldn't believe it was hiss from the NT1A.

But here is another "noise" Rich, - lots of atmo noise, broken into pieces
by MP3 and more audible. That is another thing.
As this recording is, I don't hear any electronic noise at all, not even
after I have used a highpass filter,  as the average "atmo" noise level is
too high.

Klas.

At 00:12 2005-08-02, you wrote:
> From 6,000 to 12,000 the noise is less smooth. For me it makes the
>noise more noticed even though there is none from 12,000 to 20,000
>that exsists in the original first 1/2.
>
>I would not consider this file over compressed.  This would be my
>choice for the amount and type of compression used on a mono mp3 sound
>that did not have the real high pitched bugs included with it.
>

>It is bug season in my area of the midwest US and I am off to try some
>  multichannel bugs tonight.  I know I will need an assist on the main
>caller I am chasing as I still don't have an ID for him. But he sounds
>neat and I found the right spot to record them.
>
>Rich
>
>--- In  "1GDW" <> wrote:
> > Rich,
> > Which frequencies are you referring to when you write "high pitched"?
> > Gerald White
> >
> > --- In  "Rich Peet" <>
> > wrote:
> > > In my comparing of various .mp3 settings I have not found a hiss
> > > generated by the mp3 encoding.  I do find in some compressions hiss
> > > that is more objectionable because there have been more "holes"
> > blown
> > > into existing hiss during the encode. For example, linked is a less
> > > than 10% saturation mono file with the first half being the
> > original
> > > wave after being converted to 16bit, and the second half being the
> > > same sound compressed into a mp3. Compression was 12.6 to 1 or
> > 56kbps
> > > at a 44.1 khz sample rate with a maximum bandpass of 12,002 cycles.
> > > Encode by Fraunhofer IIS done within Adobe Audition. I leave it to
> > > your ears if you find the high pitched hiss worse on the 2nd half
> > of
> > > this recording.
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,