Re: The Cheap and Easy Way--as in really cheap and really easy

Subject: Re: The Cheap and Easy Way--as in really cheap and really easy
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:28:16 -0500
At 4:48 AM +0000 7/27/05, Robert wrote:
>hi--
>
>Here is yet another version of the ultimate newbie question, except
>that it is a question whose answer changes as the technology changes.
>
>I wish to record cicada, cricket  and katydid sounds, but not for the
>purpose of getting pristine natural sound quality. Instead, I want to
>capture the intriguing melodic cacophony for use in making electronic
>music with my little sampler/synthesizer program.
>
>I did what everyone of a certain interest set  has probably has done
>at one time or another, trying to use my simple 20 dollar mike and
>portable cassette player to capture bugsong, only to find myself
>capturing really interesting (and perhaps useful) tape hiss.
>
>But when I walk in our north Texas Summer nights, on my favorite
>hiking trail, the insect choruses overwhelm thought, sensation, and
>my ears. There must be a way to capture this for sampling purposes
>without buying one thousand dollars worth of gear.

Where in North Texas? I went to college in Sherman. The tree frogs
and cicadas pack a lot of energy so its not like you need  a low
noise rig to get some loud song onto your PC.  People who walk often
like headphone mounted binaural mics.  If you can solder,  there are
plans around for DIY projects using WM-61A capsules. Plug "wm-61a
DIY" into google. Anyone have a Radio Shack part no for another
capsule with a proven track record on PIP?  Then maybe  a used MD
recorder on ebay for the other 60-80 bucks (assuming you have some
headphones you can donate to the cause). Make sure it has a mic
input. Cheap is fine, cheap and easy is asking too much. After you
get hooked, maybe for a $180 HiMD recorder like the Sony 910 to make
the digital uploading easy. While you are freeware browsing, look for
parametric EQ. It can can help tame the harshness of highly
concentrated frequencies of insect and amphibian sounds.  Let us know
when you've got something you can dance to.  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department