Re: Is This a Flicker?(and is this a Downy?)

Subject: Re: Is This a Flicker?(and is this a Downy?)
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:51:22 -0000
Thanks for sharing Jerry.  It's amazing what can be learned by
sharing recordings with this group.

I also happened on a baby woodpecker this week that was
constantly complaining through the daylight hours, and I was
wondering the same thing - is that normal?  It was nice to learn
from Fred Fallon's response to your posting that this is normal
behavior for woodpeckers.=20

The one that I heard and recorded is, I believe, either a Hairy or a
Downy woodpecker (I still get them mixed up).  In this three
minute snippett you can hear the baby constantly complaining
while an adult stops by, making purring sounds while checking
in ( 2.7 MB):

http://www.rockscallop.org/ear/jh-050723-wkpkr.mp3

-John Hartog

--- In  "Jerry Berrier"
<> wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> For the past two days, I've been hearing a bird make the same
sound
> repeatedly all day long.  Today I recorded it, along with an
answering call
> from a nearby bird.  I'm almost sure they are northern flickers,
but I'm
> curious to know what others think.
> If they are flickers, any idea why one of them would be calling
constantly
> throughout the day?  I thought mating season was in the
spring, and I've
> never heard flickers do this before.
> I edited this recording with Goldwave, but I was unable to
remove much of
> the hiss from wind noise.  I'd welcome any suggestions
regarding that.