Re: more questions than answers...

Subject: Re: more questions than answers...
From: David Shepherd <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:13:13 +0200 (CEST)
Rob and Rich

Thanks for your thoughts, most helpful.  Firstly I will be travelling to the
Artic circle from late July to early September.  I have been told that at this
time of the year their is practically no wind and it should be warm.  I am
hoping to raft long strecthes of a couple of big rivers.  So it may be that as
I am on the river some interesting sonic event happens on the bank of the
river. With this in mind I guess I would also need a pistol grip.

As for the binaural microphones: I overlooked the fact that they may be
unbalanced because I paid a lot more for a "balanced" pair!

Another option that I have found is from Telinga.... The sample recording I
have heard from the rig has incredible spatialisation yet my monitors are not
up to the job of adequately hearing the clarity of the recording.  (I'm
upgrading my monitors and computer etc as well)
The rig consists of:

Pro5W with mini-jack for mini-disc
DATmic Stereo
1 mm dish, flexible
Windsheild covering the dish

If anyone has used a rig like this (or similar) I would be interested to hear
more samples - you can contact me off list if you prefer.

I agree that a recording rig is a musical instrument, up until now I haven't
thought much past pointing and recording.  I realise that given the money I
have, the rig wont live up to alll of my expectations and I will at some point
have to take the plunge.  But it seems now that I am begining to get an idea of
what I want.

And finally I live in Vienna, Austria: As Rob has suggested, it would be good
to gain some field experience. With this in mind does anyone on the list live
relativly close by who would be willing to let me tag along?   Again if you
prefer please contact me off list.

Once more many thanks....

Best

David

Rob Danielson <> schrieb:
David--
Thanks for the thorough description of your
needs. Yes, its common for two capsules to have
different outputs. Rich's recent 183 vs. me62
test with graph shows this very clearly. If a
manuf has access to lots of caps, two of similar
quality and output can be matched. They can also
change after put through paces in the field.

A recording rig is a performed musical instrument
and just one factor in a relation to living
things. If one's rig doesn't become "personal,"
one's communications will lack content.

Here's some unexpected advice: Don't buy anything
yet. I suggest that you find a dealer/
salesperson with field experience doing what you
want to do. (There are some on this list and
others can be suggested off list).
Studio-music-recording experience is not
applicable. Have that person work up a
description of a complete package and a rent
towards purchase arrangement. You can run the
package description past this group for more
input if you want. If you can't get that to
happen close to home. Accompany/help an
accomplished recordist on one of their
excursions. I'm sure they'll let you try out
their gear. This list is a great resource for
making such contacts.

A field recording system to achieve high clarity
for distant and close sounds indicates that you
have high expectations in the long term. What
will really do this for you with all the
recording style factors included is impossible to
recommend. Using high quality gear in the field
is a very formative experience. It changes lots
of things you assumed before you got there. Rob
D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department