Re: more questions than answers...

Subject: Re: more questions than answers...
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:52:33 -0500
At 1:25 PM +0200 6/30/05, David Shepherd wrote:
>Dear all
>
>Firstly I want to thank the regulars who post to
>the group for the wealth of information you have
>provided.  And secondly sorry to be asking yet
>more questions!
>
>Unfortunately I am not much closer to making an
>informed decision about what would suit me best
>for nature recording.
>
>In the city I've been using Soundman binaural
>mics.  I have had good results with these
>however I have noticed throughout all of my
>source recordings that they are slightly right
>heavy.  (Whilst I have haven't had my ears
>tested I know I damaged them when I was younger)
>I believe that when I am recording I am tilting
>my head slightly to the right to compensate???=A0
>
>Am I wrong about this or is this a possibilty?
>
>I have read through the archive of messages and
>as one list member said it comes down to
>personal taste - but I don't really have a
>starting point from which to proceed. I have
>about a thousand Euros for a recorder and a
>microphone.
>
>I am planning a trip next year to the Artic
>Circle in Canada and therefore want something
>that is easily portable and easy to set up
>(quickly).
>
>So I am thinking to move away from in-ear
>microphones (especially for Nature recording)
>and as a member has suggested purchase two
>ME-66's (380 Euros for the two) or possibly a
>MKE 44-P stereo mic (546.00 Euros) (In Austria)
>
>I would ideally like something that could give
>clear recordings at long distances as well as
>close recordings (single source)
>
>I am also looking to upgrade from my Sony
>Minidisc.  Again much information is available
>on this subject.  Should I stick with a minidisc
>or look for a hard disc recorder?
>
>Any help would be much appreciated I have plenty
>of time so will continue researching but if
>someone can point me in the right direction that
>would be great.
>
>All the best David

David--
Thanks for the thorough description of your
needs. Yes, its common for two capsules to have
different outputs. Rich's recent 183 vs. me62
test with graph shows this very clearly.  If a
manuf has access to lots of caps, two of similar
quality and output can be matched. They can also
change after put through paces in the field.

A recording rig is a performed musical instrument
and just one factor in a relation to living
things. If one's rig doesn't become "personal,"
one's communications will lack content.

Here's some unexpected advice: Don't buy anything
yet. I suggest that you find a dealer/
salesperson with field experience doing what you
want to do. (There are some on this list and
others can be suggested off list).
Studio-music-recording experience is not
applicable.  Have that person work up a
description of a complete package and  a rent
towards purchase arrangement.  You can run the
package description past this group for more
input if you want.  If you can't get that to
happen close to home.  Accompany/help an
accomplished recordist on one of their
excursions. I'm sure they'll let you try out
their gear. This list is a great resource for
making such contacts.

A field recording system to achieve high clarity
for distant and close sounds indicates that you
have high expectations in the long term. What
will really do this for you with all the
recording style factors included is impossible to
recommend.  Using high quality gear in the field
is a very formative experience. It changes lots
of things you assumed before you got there.  Rob
D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department