Re: more questions than answers...

Subject: Re: more questions than answers...
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:10:40 -0000
I can see why you are having trouble reaching a decision.
It is not an easy decision to make.

There are a number of issues that make setting up in the Arctic very
challenging.

1. Weight: Without any recording equipment with you at all this trip
still involves a good deal of equipment and weight.

2. Cold. I have found that Minidisc recorders work well in the cold
and microphones do to as long as you watch condensation on equipment
when going into a warm room from being out in the cold. But the cold
still makes coordination of fingers difficult and makes movement
louder because the cold effects most all fabrics that would be
considered artic wear.

3. Wind. It just is very windy in open artic areas and does not seem
to ever stop.

4. Distance. Overall sounds are more spred out so you do have both the
distance issues and there will be many close individual targets to record.

My first thought since you have time is to sew your binaural mics into
the shoulders of the coat that you will be wearing with the cables on
the inside of the coat arms wired to a pocket that will hold your
minidisc.  Windscreens would have to be custom and well thought out.
My windscreens failed me last night recording a thunderstorm so I am
re-thinking this again and again. For me, windscreens are kind of like
wearing coats and need to be layered for different conditions.

If you go with two me-66 mics then you likely will have to go with two
blimps as well. The me-66 is very sensitive to wind. This makes it an
expensive option and probably not the best one.

Martyn just worked Alaska with different recording kits so he may be
able to give more options for you.  I also can not guess on your
hearing questions but it does appear that you need to check your
binaurals to see how closely matched they are just so that you know.
The issue on upgrading to hard-drive recorders is a financial one but
I sure would still take the minidisc as well into this climate you are
challenging yourself with.

Rich

--- In  David Shepherd
<> wrote:
> Dear all
>=20
> Firstly I want to thank the regulars who post to the group for the
wealth of information you have provided.  And secondly sorry to be
asking yet more questions!
>=20
> Unfortunately I am not much closer to making an informed decision
about what would suit me best for nature recording.
>=20
> In the city I've been using Soundman binaural mics.  I have had good
results with these however I have noticed throughout all of my source
recordings that they are slightly right heavy.  (Whilst I have haven't
had my ears tested I know I damaged them when I was younger) I believe
that when I am recording I am tilting my head slightly to the right to
compensate???=20
>=20
> Am I wrong about this or is this a possibilty?
>=20
> I have read through the archive of messages and as one list member
said it comes down to personal taste - but I don't really have a
starting point from which to proceed. I have about a thousand Euros
for a recorder and a microphone.
>=20
> I am planning a trip next year to the Artic Circle in Canada and
therefore want something that is easily portable and easy to set up
(quickly).
>=20
> So I am thinking to move away from in-ear microphones (especially
for Nature recording) and as a member has suggested purchase two
ME-66's (380 Euros for the two) or possibly a MKE 44-P stereo mic
(546.00 Euros) (In Austria)
>=20
> I would ideally like something that could give clear recordings at
long distances as well as close recordings (single source)
>=20
> I am also looking to upgrade from my Sony Minidisc.  Again much
information is available on this subject.  Should I stick with a
minidisc or look for a hard disc recorder?
>=20
> Any help would be much appreciated I have plenty of time so will
continue researching but if someone can point me in the right
direction that would be great.