Interesting Sound

Subject: Interesting Sound
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 02:40:54 -0400
From: Kevin J. Colver <>

> Greetings Walt,
>
> This recording sounds so much like the Loggerhead Shrike on my Stokes
> Western Birds recording that I would have thought that you actually
> recorded a Shrike rather than a Mockingbird.  That actually might be a
> possibility as both species are similar size and color and might be
> confused in some light conditions.  I've had the experience before
> where I didn't see hidden the bird vocalizing although it was near or
> behind the bird I thought I was recording.  One reason I wonder if this
> really was a Shrike is the slow pace of the calls.  Mockingbirds take
> their borrowed sounds and jam and rush them together like a high speed
> rap artist.  This bird makes the sound at the leisurely pace of a
> shrike.

It's been many years since I heard a Loggerhead Shrike call in the wild.
I have seen them as well, and don't think I'd confuse the two. The
behavior and movement patterns are different too.

This was a Mockingbird, this was his normal pacing on all the calls he
was giving. He woke me about 3 am with his calls, and called until dawn.
He was not alone, several other mockingbirds were calling in the
distance. And unless a Shrike has taken to imitating a whole bunch of
birds, and some other things, it was definitely not a Shrike. In any
case, I did get a good look at him, standard issue mockingbird. The bush
he called from seemed to be his home base. He hung around it even after
he stopped calling.

Also, this call was right in his timing and pace with the calls before
and after. So I would seriously doubt another bird nearby. This was a
stereo recording, as usual for me, and the apparent direction did not
change either. There was also not a whole lot of cover for another bird
to be hidden.

I don't think you can generalize about the speed of mockingbird singing.
I've heard plenty of mockingbirds running at the pace of this one, or
even slower. The ones here at my place in Georgia are slow paced, for
instance. Maybe it's the area you have listened to them. I have also
heard faster paced mockingbirds. Some keep a steady delivery, with no
break between species imitations, and some give each species with a
little break between. This regardless of the overall tempo of their
delivery.

Incidentally, this call sounds exactly like some rattlesnakes I've met.
That's what makes this tricky. It sounds like more than one thing,
though the limited repeats all sounded the same. I've even heard insects
that would be pretty close to this. Toss the shrike in and we have
several choices.

Interesting idea that mockingbirds should pass calls around between
them. But, then, I have a mockingbird that for the past 5 years has
claimed a territory that includes my blueberry bushes. And his song set
seems identical to what he had 5 years ago. He's got a wide range of
birds in his set.