Re: Interesting Sound

Subject: Re: Interesting Sound
From: Kevin J. Colver <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:10:14 -0700
Greetings Walt,

This recording sounds so much like the Loggerhead Shrike on my Stokes=20
Western Birds recording that I would have thought that you actually=20
recorded a Shrike rather than a Mockingbird.  That actually might be a=20
possibility as both species are similar size and color and might be=20
confused in some light conditions.  I've had the experience before=20
where I didn't see hidden the bird vocalizing although it was near or=20
behind the bird I thought I was recording.  One reason I wonder if this =

really was a Shrike is the slow pace of the calls.  Mockingbirds take=20
their borrowed sounds and jam and rush them together like a high speed=20
rap artist.  This bird makes the sound at the leisurely pace of a=20
shrike.

Another Mockingbird story:  I had a Mockingbird recorded in the west=20
Utah sagebrush one year that had excellent Blue Jay calls in it's=20
vocabulary.  There wasn't a Blue Jay within 1500 miles.  I wondered if=20
this bird had spent a previous year in the mid-West.  Then I hit on a=20
more likely explanation:  This bird had spent the winter down south=20
socializing and learning from fellow Mockingbirds that had learned Blue =

Jay calls from the Mid-West and East.  They probably mix it up down=20
south each winter and come back the next spring with new bragging=20
rights.

Cheers All,

Kevin Colver

On Wednesday, June 29, 2005, at 10:05 AM, Walter Knapp wrote:

> A little pump priming to get back to nature recording.
>
> This is a little clip from two hours of a Mockingbird's song I recorded
> at Granite Pass, California in April (recorded before dawn). This is
> sagebrush desert country. I have my own idea just what sound this
> feathered recorder is playing back. This was given 4 times in the two
> hours, two times it was a single repeat, and two were 4 repeats. What
> think Ye?
> http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/2005-W2-
> 007a.mp3
>
> Walt
>

> "Microphones are not ears,
> Loudspeakers are not birds,
> A listening room is not nature."
> Klas Strandberg

<image.tiff>

> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>
> +     =A0Visit your group "naturerecordists" on the web.
> =A0
> +     =A0To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> =
> =A0
> +     =A0Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

<image.tiff>