Re: California forest and desert locations

Subject: Re: California forest and desert locations
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:30:59 -0700
>To the north about 10 miles are the Kelso Dunes, one of the
>sites in the desert SW where you can record the dunes singing
>assuming conditions are right and you have the right transducers (a
>pair of good PZM mics or hydrophones in ziploc bags of water buried
>in the sand in order to get the infrasound component at around 10Hz).
>Best window to record is between late March and May. There's also a
>National Park Service visitor center north of the dunes on the
>Kelbaker Rd at Kelso where we've just installed a couple of
>soundscapes representing the desert in that area. It is scheduled to
>be open sometime in August of this year.

I visited the Kelso Dunes on my way back from recording at Joshua
Tree National Park a couple of weeks ago. I climbed most of the way
up the big dune, but they weren't sayin' anything. What are the
conditions that produce singing?

BTW the interpretive sign said it sounded like an airplane. I heard
several of those, but I wasn't fooled.

-Dan Dugan