Re: me-62 v w183

Subject: Re: me-62 v w183
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:28:56 -0500
>Well I will do a quiet test comparison sometime but thought I would
>just toss a sample up to give a quick response.
>
>ME-62 Sennheiser omni.
>my observations.
>
>1. nice very durable package. Recessed low cut filter can not be
>turned on by accident. Standard size cigar mic case.
>2. High frequencies are not really seen as that of an omni as it is
>directional and the mic even has 3 interference slots that likely
>contribute to this.
>3. It is a balanced output that was defeated by cable wiring for the
>test using a minidisc recorder.
>4. My pair are very closely matched.
>5. Runs off a AA battery or phantom power whichever you like if you
>bought the K6 powering module that has a battery.
>
>WL-183 Shure Omni
>1. a fraction of the size of a me-62
>2. requires a custom cable wiring to be used with a minidisc recorder.
>3. does not fit into standard shock mounts or windscreen foam covers.
>4. give a high output, low noise, accurate sounding response.
>5. There will be more of an individual difference in purchasing a pair
>of these mics as I do not feel that they were manufactured with the
>idea of use as matched pairs.
>
>Overall comparison.
>Not a world of difference in either output or noise in comparison.
>WIthout the bass cut filter on the me-62 is bass heavy, aka (warm).
>WL-183 is a fraction of the cost and is much cleaner sound
>representation especially on off axis high pitched sounds.
>ME-62 is a solid microphone that requires little thought to put into
>field use with accessories easily purchased.  Although the cost is
>higher if taken care of this mic has held a used value of 75% of new
>prices for a number of years now.
>
>Sound sample was recorded on my desk with the mics next to each other.
>Windows open with road construction, aquarium, and sparrow in the
>background. I just recorded first with the me-62 and then swapped the
>cables to the WL-183 pair twice.
>A 7 meg download at:
>http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/62v183.wav
>
>On axis quiet test to follow when I get to it and not much sooner.
>Rich Peet

Thanks a ton Rich! Actually, the blend is sound elements with high
water trickles and low rumbles is quite useful. What was your record
gain on the MD recorder? Was it the same for both recordings?

I took two, 2 second segments from each test that seemed the most
similar in level and made a quicktime movie with a spectral display
for each. I briefly dissolved the two graphs at the transition point.
You can see what you describe: the greater warmth/lower mid range and
upper bass "roar" of the ME-62  and the lifted high end of the 183's.
Also the frequency and output differences between the 183 caps are
there.

Movie, full 16 bit uncompressed (4mb) (the hi end differences better
are more audible)
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/CompareSennME62_Shure183_Lrg.mov

Movie, compressed sound (277K)
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/CompareSennME62_Shure183_Sm.mov