me-62 v wl183

Subject: me-62 v wl183
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:42:13 -0000
Well I will do a quiet test comparison sometime but thought I would
just toss a sample up to give a quick response.

ME-62 Sennheiser omni.
my observations.

1. nice very durable package. Recessed low cut filter can not be
turned on by accident. Standard size cigar mic case.
2. High frequencies are not really seen as that of an omni as it is
directional and the mic even has 3 interference slots that likely
contribute to this.
3. It is a balanced output that was defeated by cable wiring for the
test using a minidisc recorder.
4. My pair are very closely matched.
5. Runs off a AA battery or phantom power whichever you like if you
bought the K6 powering module that has a battery.

WL-183 Shure Omni
1. a fraction of the size of a me-62
2. requires a custom cable wiring to be used with a minidisc recorder.
3. does not fit into standard shock mounts or windscreen foam covers.
4. give a high output, low noise, accurate sounding response.
5. There will be more of an individual difference in purchasing a pair
of these mics as I do not feel that they were manufactured with the
idea of use as matched pairs.

Overall comparison.
Not a world of difference in either output or noise in comparison.
WIthout the bass cut filter on the me-62 is bass heavy, aka (warm).
WL-183 is a fraction of the cost and is much cleaner sound
representation especially on off axis high pitched sounds.
ME-62 is a solid microphone that requires little thought to put into
field use with accessories easily purchased.  Although the cost is
higher if taken care of this mic has held a used value of 75% of new
prices for a number of years now.

Sound sample was recorded on my desk with the mics next to each other.
Windows open with road construction, aquarium, and sparrow in the
background. I just recorded first with the me-62 and then swapped the
cables to the WL-183 pair twice.
A 7 meg download at:
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/62v183.wav

On axis quiet test to follow when I get to it and not much sooner.
Rich Peet