Re: me-62 v w183

Subject: Re: me-62 v w183
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:00:11 -0000
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Thanks a ton Rich! Actually, the blend is sound elements with high
> water trickles and low rumbles is quite useful. What was your record
> gain on the MD recorder? Was it the same for both recordings?
>
> I took two, 2 second segments from each test that seemed the most
> similar in level and made a quicktime movie with a spectral display
> for each. I briefly dissolved the two graphs at the transition point.
> You can see what you describe: the greater warmth/lower mid range and
> upper bass "roar" of the ME-62  and the lifted high end of the 183's.
> Also the frequency and output differences between the 183 caps are
> there.
>
> Movie, full 16 bit uncompressed (4mb) (the hi end differences better
> are more audible)
> http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/CompareSennME62_Shure183_Lrg.mov
>

> Movie, compressed sound (277K)
> http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/CompareSennME62_Shure183_Sm.mov
>
> Rob D.

Gain was manual and set about mid level.  I switched the plugs as fast
as I could between mics.  Neither the loudest highs or lows were on
axis for either mic.

But take care in evaluating this test because I have heard;

"Rich sometimes has trouble distinguishing between his imagination or
agenda and reality. One has to filter what he says as a result."

Rich Peet