Re: [newbie] simple question about phantom power

Subject: Re: [newbie] simple question about phantom power
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:17:41 -0500
At 10:55 PM +0200 6/27/05, mel ducasse wrote:
>Hi,
>Okay call me dumb, but we all have to start somewhere ;)
>I've been reading with interest the discussion on the Rode NT1-a. looks
>good and quiet and cheap for what I'd like to do and seems like it would
>be a whole load better than that nasty sony mic they sold me with my
>minidisc!
>One question though, the NT1-a is not going to run from my minidisc or
>through my audiophile USB interface? I need some sort of portable
>phantom power thingy don't I? Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Hi Mel--
You are correct. I have been mentioning this all along but its easy
to miss in all the directions a string can take.  I might have a
suggestion about an affordable way to supply a pair of NT1A's (and
maybe other phantom powered mics, we'll see) with portable phantom
power for use with an HiMD 3.5mm mic input pretty soon. I'm waiting
for one more component and a cool quiet night when I can close up my
attic and turn off the fans and run tests and adjustments. But yes,
the other ways I know of prior to this have involved expensive
outboard preamps like the sound devices mp2 to, in part, supply the
phantom power. So hold off on buying those Rodes for a bit unless you
have an external pre. Rob D.

-