recording owl vocalizations

Subject: recording owl vocalizations
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:53:37 -0500
I agree. Tricking an animal to  respond to a recording is pointless
and, really, sort of depressing if its done in the name of welfare.
What is that one _can't_  learn about the local owl population by
running a HiMD recorder for several nights?  If they aren't calling
in the middle of mating season, their calls are probably destined to
fade.  You can also learn more about the stresses they are
encountering. Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D

At 8:37 AM -0700 6/27/05, Martyn Stewart wrote:
>I couldn't agree with you more but what can you do? In my welcoming letter=
>cautioned the use of playback but I feel most times this falls on deaf ear=
s.
>I get hundreds of requests for sounds each week from my website and I ask
>each and every one of them "what's it for?" I do not give out sounds for
>photographers and hunters, I do not believe in call back as a tool in this
>way.
>Trouble is, you and I are a small voice in the wind, thousands of gadgets
>are now available and birders generally only care about increasing their
>life lists to the detriment of the bird.
>I have thousands of bird sounds recorded all over the world and I have NEV=
ER

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department