Re: Re: release calls - canyon tree frog?

Subject: Re: Re: release calls - canyon tree frog?
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
> > Recorded with sonic studios DSM-6S/EH pseudo-binaurals and pre into a
> > Sony MZ-R37 consumer MD -- my "open box" RH10 HiMD didn't arrive in
> > time for this trip sadly! :)
>
> Nice. You've mentioned the Sonic Studios mics before. Are they to be
> heard on most of your recordings?

Indeed, among my own recordings on my site, I think effectively *all* were
made with these mics (most without the dedicated pre -- just direct into
various consumer MD mic inputs).

Fwiw I did a quick test of DSMs -> Sonic Studios dedicated pre -> Sony
RH10 HiMD line input this morning, to audition the difference between PCM
mode and "HiSP" 256kpbs Atrac3 compression, and at first blush there was
no discernible quality drop -- both sounded quite good mic noise floor not
withstanding. Hardly a strong test though, but reassuring.

Getting that HiMD brings me one step closer to the "shootout" I want to do
this summer with various binaural style mics I've somehow accured:
Radioshack 33-3028s, Core Sound entry level binaurals, Soundman OKMs,
Sonic Studios DSM-1S/M and -6S/EH, Core Sound HEB (DPA 4060 capsules), and
the new kid on the block, Shure WL183s. Let the best head win!

 best
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org

  |  quod omne animal post   |