release calls - canyon tree frog?

Subject: release calls - canyon tree frog?
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:11:10 -0500
At 2:38 PM -0700 6/17/05, Aaron Ximm wrote:
>  > Did you use the Sonic Studios mini preamp for this recording?
>
>I did, it was their (cough) expensive one.
>
>Fwiw I find the benefits of it while audible under carefully controlled
>conditions usually of only subtle benefit -- more a "transparency" issue
>than anything else. The pre did not do the one thing I really hoped it
>would, which was reduce noise floor -- which I think is without doubt a
>limitation of the mic elements themselves (much that I love them).

This recording has tremendous physical presence in terms of
placement, voice and eventfulness. Over monitor speakers too.
Listened to it many times. How far are the frogs from the mics? They
seem as close as 4-8', but if they're like Grays, they really put it
out and could be much further. I've never heard these guys before --
fascinating-- the similarities yet pronounced differences with the
Grays.

Yes, we could be in for some rethinking about what we hope an
outboard pre can do regarding noise.  Thanks to Klas' patient
insistence and Dan's generosity, it seems there are some ways to use
truly low noise mics with consumer MD/DAT built in mic pres. In the
testing I've done, the NH900 with the Denecke phantom power supply is
astonishing clean with NT1-A's (when I can get it working, more
later).  For those who like low-profile, binaural rigs, we really
need affordable low noise, high sensitivity omnis (~10 dBA or less
and >20 mV/Pa!) and they can be phantom powered. Omnis have a number
of advantages. My paired, "wide" cardioid NT1-A's seem to only cover
about 120 degrees uniformly. Gianni may look into the multi-pattern,
Rode NT2000's-- large and about $400 each, but very flexible if they
perform well in this combination. Only testing will tell.  Anyway,
its an exciting possibility because many more people could get into
gear that is well suited for nature/ambient/field recording.

>  > >Getting that HiMD brings me one step closer to the "shootout" I want to do
>  > >this summer with various binaural style mics I've somehow accured:
>...snip...
>  > After the recording season, how about lending them all to Rob
>  > Danielson for his tick-tock noise test?
>
>Well, say, Rob, if you're up for it, I'll just bring the lot with me next
>time I visit my folks in MKE and we could make an afternoon of it -- or
>alternately I know I'll be in Chicago in October for the Third Coast
>Festival and I'd be happy to come up then...?

  We can definitely work something out. I'll contact you off list, Aaron. Rob D.