Re: Sound analysis software

Subject: Re: Sound analysis software
From: "werainey" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:22:39 -0000
Graham:
Are these wav files or Anabat files? If they are Anabat files and
you are wish to detect a constant frequency call as you did
previously, there are several free programs on Chris Corben's
web site (<www. hoarybat.com>,both the DOS and Windows
versions of Analook) in which you can construct a filter which
recognizes those calls, then use it to screen either single
directories or a directory hierarchy. The identified files then can
be visually examined to see how well the filter is working and
perhaps iteratively improved by tweaking parameter settings.

There is also a simple scripting system in the Windows version
that will yield text files that include the times of all selected
detections either individually or aggregated by ten minutes, one
hour, etc.

The system is under construction and thus isn't without wrinkles,
but it is powerful for many tasks in this arena. One virtue of
working with these simplified files is speed even on low end
computers. I use a several year old laptop to initially screen data
sets of a year or more containing many tens of thousands of
files, most with multiple bat calls, in ten or fifteen minutes. If you
want to look at each 'hit' it will take a while, but you can visually
assess several per minute, until RSI forces you to do something
else for a while.

Best,
Bill Rainey

--- In  Graham Smith
<> wrote:
> Can anyone help in pointing me towards some sound anlysis
software
> that either does this anyway or might allow a macro to be
written.